COVID has increased the value of homes, and consumers are increasing their budgets for home services. Home Improvement Research Institute reported in 2020 and 2021, consumer spending on home improvements will increase by 15% and 13.3%. This is compared to an average 2.8% growth rate over the previous ten years.
Home services were already part of the “on-demand” economy long before consumers began spending more time at home. This was due to the pandemic and the growing culture of working from home (WFH). Home services are as readily available as Uber rides or Airbnb vacations in a world with an app for anything.
The growing demand for and ease of access to home services present opportunities and challenges to home service businesses that provide plumbing, HVAC, cleaning, roofing, house painting, lawn, gardening services, etc. The shift in consumer preferences could cause these businesses to celebrate. It also requires that they scale their technology and workflows quickly.
Avoid these common mistakes when trying to meet new demands.
- The gaps between traditional management tools and tech stacks.
- Overloading your tech stacks with redundant applications
A business’s ability to provide quality service can be compromised if it lacks the appropriate technology. This is especially true at a time when consistent service quality is more important than ever. Because their homes are more important to them, consumers invest more in their homes and may be more sensitive to service quality lapses. Consumers with larger budgets have higher expectations.
Clover’s six tools will help your home service business develop tech systems and processes that are more efficient, streamlined, and fit for purpose.
Fit for Field Service
The fieldwork of home services is fundamental. It requires rugged, reliable technology which can be used offline and stays charged for long periods.
- Clover Flex. This all-in-one device allows field staff members to manage their businesses from the palms of their hands. With its 5″ touchscreen and built-in camera, printer, and barcode reader, the Flex can be paired with other Clover products to provide a complete solution to accept payments and track sales.
- Virtual Terminal. Clover Virtual Terminal lets merchants enter payment and order information directly from the web browser on their devices and accepts all major credit and debit cards. This tool allows a contractor on his way to a customer’s house to get a deposit before starting work.
- Clover Go. The Go app with a portable credit card reader brings your business directly to your clients. These are easy to use, and they give you all the power of a POS wherever you have a Wi-Fi connection or cellular service. The latest G2 app has several new useful features for teams in the field—inventory categories and multi-user support help to organize items. G2 allows you to access transactional details such as payment type, employee, etc.
Fit for inflation
Inventory tracking is essential for merchants who sell products and services related to home services, such as replacement parts and supplies. Inventory management is necessary to improve profitability in the face of increasing inflation.
- Inventory. Clover’s Inventory enhanced features make maintaining the constant availability of products in demand easy. This tool manages Inventory for all POS transactions, eliminating the need for time-consuming coordination between team members on the field. Clover integrates with leading inventory tools such as Sku-IQ Shopventory and Many Others.
Fit for Your Business Basics
Clover is a simple way to access a growing market of apps that can help you with essential business functions such as payroll, time tracking, project management, and appointment booking.
- The Homebase Time Clock. Helps merchants to schedule field staff assignments and track time. It also helps them process payroll and taxes and set up automatic reminders.
- They are booking appointments. Clover integrates multiple scheduling apps and services businesses use, such as Cojilo Booking Platform or SPS Appointment Scheduler. These apps are more than just appointment booking tools. These apps also allow customers to send and receive emails and SMS, collect payments, and integrate with the Virtual Terminal.